Lola by Jane Ayers Sweat

Lola

How I wish I could have known you
When your hair was fiery red
Before time changed it to a shade of gray
And you forgot what you just said.

I wish I could have seen you
Hair in curls around your face
Running swiftly barefoot
Trying to win a schoolyard race.

I wish I could have heard your laugh
When you were just a girl
I imagine how light it sounded
You had no cares in the world.

I wish I could have talked to you
Before Time chased away your mind
Before your body grew so tired
And your thoughts you could no longer find.

I wish I could have known the you
That you were once upon a time
The happy, healthy person,
Now it seems I know a mime.

How I wish I could have known you
Before you were 93
Then maybe, just maybe
Your mind would remember me

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gently in Nature by Michael Griffith

Grounded Angel By Desiree Cady