Ella Black by Michael Ceraolo







"Ella Black"

I was the Pittsburgh correspondent for Sporting Life
during the one season of the Players League
There were a good many then who didn't believe
a woman could write knowledgeably about sports
(I understand there are fewer of those now),
and I wasn't helped by headline writers' creations
that rarely coincided with my column's content
(I understand that hasn't changed at all)
But I proved the doubters wrong,
and having done so, I vanished
without any further trace in the historical record
Nobody knows if Ella Black was even my real name
If you're a fan of the game,
you should know who I am,

even if nobody knows who I was


Michael Ceraolo is a 61-year-old retired firefighter/paramedic and active poet who has had two full-length books (Euclid Creek, from Deep Cleveland Press; 500 Cleveland Haiku, from Writing Knights Press) and several shorter-length books published, and has a third full-length book, Euclid Creek Book Two, forthcoming from unbound content press.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gently in Nature by Michael Griffith

Grounded Angel By Desiree Cady