My Bodyguard by Paula Hackett

Listen to Paula Hackett's My Bodyguard. spoken word poetry by clicking the link below.



My Bodyguard 

Losing balance
losing my balance
across the floor
or against a wall.
My body follows along
always finding a structure to hit, slide or crawl across. 
Something is tipping the balance.
The brain a likely culprit.
Or maybe gravity itself having a little fun with me. 
Maybe life is trying to kick itself free from me.
But before a decision is made, a diagnosis, a doctor 
or a way to nail down my balance is decided, 
maybe a new event will take place.
My balance and I will join together as
we float, glide, and prepare for our body to
take us dancing, one step after another.


BIO: Paula Hackett's poetry is influenced by her life experiences growing up in Berkeley during the vibrant and explosive 60's. The daughter of novelist Paul Hackett, she studied under John Beecher, Angela Davis and Grover Sales. She has written lyrics in collaboration with her brother John Hackett, for many great jazz composers including Teddy Edwards, John Handy, Ivan Lins, Joe Sample, Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson, and Cedar Walton. Her life long love of jazz is reflected in her many poems about musicians and in her CDs with pianists Rudi Wongozi and Connie Crothers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gently in Nature by Michael Griffith

Grounded Angel By Desiree Cady