Identify This Man by Jerry Durick

Identify This Man

I’ve seen him some place before, the guy the TV news showed
wheel a thousand inch flat screen out of Walmart without paying,
I’ve seen him somewhere; I’ve seen so many faces and places,
crowds full, lobbies and terminals, waiting in line for this or that,
ball games and fair grounds, town squares, main streets, side streets,
out a window, they all walk by eventually; new faces join the old
more familiar faces, people I went to school with, people I passed
on the highway home; I have grouped them, typed them, added
new features to the old ones; I’ve seen him some place before
like a face recognition program, I scan and lock in on him, seen
him before wheeling a smaller set out of the same Walmart five
years ago, one wheel on the cart wobbled just so and he threw down
the cigarette he was smoking when he saw me scan him in, he knew
I’d know him next time, this time, I know him, the type, his features,
he blends with the others, becomes a blur; so many places, so many
faces have become a part of me; he’s in there walking around with
the rest of them, wheeling his new TV, looking for some place to hide.  


J. K. Durick is a writing teacher at the Community College of Vermont and an online writing tutor. His recent poems have appeared in Social Justice Poetry, Tuck Magazine, Yellow Chair ReviewSynchronized Chaos, and Haikuniverse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gently in Nature by Michael Griffith

Grounded Angel By Desiree Cady